Deadline: December 1, 2017
Showcase your talent by entering this exciting competition, brought to you by the North Light team. We have dedicated the 20th edition of Splash Creative Compositions!
You can edit or manage your entry HERE
All winners will appear in the twentieth edition of Splash.
Composition is the arrangement of the visual elements in your painting. This is quite distinct from the subject of your painting. Often the subject and composition will intersect; the subject may “ask for” a certain look. Ultimately, any subject can be developed with a variety of compositional strategies. In most cases, however, it is not the subject but the composition of the work that gives a painting its originality and appeal. The elements of composition are classically defined as line, shape, color, value, texture, form and space. These elements can be organized along with balance, contrast, emphasis, movement, pattern, rhythm and point of view in a near-infinite number of ways. How you compose your painting determines the way people will view it and how they will be affected by it emotionally.
For the Splash 20 contest, we will be looking for excellence and originality in composition, as well as a variety of styles and subjects. If selected, you will be asked to write about the manner in which you considered and developed the composition for your painting: Why did you choose, or create, this particular subject in this way? Did the subject present itself with a pleasing composition, or did you manipulate it? Did you develop a composition before painting, or as you painted? The dominant medium must be watercolor, though some minor use of other mediums may be acceptable. You must specify any other mediums used in addition to watercolor in your application.
- You must enter online. All entries must be submitted as digital files. There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit.
- Image requirements for entries: JPG files (Please try to keep the file size under 5 MB to ensure proper uploading). When entering online, the viewing screen & thumbnail which you will see during the entry process is for general reference only and does not reflect the image quality that will be viewed by jurors. The file that you attach is exactly as it will appear to the jurors.
- All entrants should be prepared to be able to send a hi-resolution print-quality replacement file should their entry be among those selected as a winner. For publication these files should be 300 dpi when saved at approximately 8×10 inches (2400×3600 pixels), ideally, and 5×7 inches (1500×2100 pixels) at minimum. Winners will be asked to provide specific written information about their selected piece(s). This written information, in order to be accepted, will have to be provided electronically via e-mail. Winners will also be required to submit a high-resolution TIFF or JPG file (CMYK format/300dpi) for the work(s) to be published.
- The competition is open to artists anywhere in the world. All works must be original. Compositions based on published material or other artists’ work are NOT considered original and are not eligible. Employees of F+W, a Content and eCommerce Company, and their immediate families, are not eligible. North Light reserves the right to reject work deemed unsuitable for publication or that does not meet above criteria.
- Due to SEC restrictions we are unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, Sudan or North Korea.
- For more information visit our Preparing Your Entry Page or our FAQ page.
Sign up for Our Free Art Competitions email and receive updates on competition information including deadlines and winners. You’ll also receive our Free Artists Network newsletter.
Online Contest Software provided by WizeHive