Artists are a favorite subject of filmmakers, and many big-name actors have portrayed them. But so have a lot of lesser lights. You may not know all the actors in this quiz, but you should get the artists from the clues provided. The first 12 questions are worth a point each, the bonus is good for three more, so a perfect score is 15.
1. Salma Hayek turned heads with her portrayal of Frida Kahlo in Frida, but Alfred Molina was just as impressive playing the man in her life. Who was that?
2. The founder of surrealism, a Frenchman who was very taken by Frida’s work, also appears in that film, played by Omar Rodriguez. Can you name him?
3. Which noted British artist, a painter of screaming popes, was portrayed by Derek Jacobi in Love is the Devil?
4. The film Modigliani featured a contest between the Italian portraitist and what famed cubist, played by Omid Djalili (who had a part in the last Pirates of the Caribbean film)?
5. What undersized impressionist was played by José Ferrer in the original Moulin Rouge and then by Colombian-born John Leguizamo in the 2001 remake?
6. Al Pacino is slated to star as what wacky Spanish surrealist in an upcoming film?
7. Charles Laughton is best known for his portrayal of Captain Bligh in the original Mutiny on the Bounty. What Dutch master did he portray a year later?
8. Sweden’s Stellan Skarsgard, who had a starring role in Mamma Mia!, portrayed what celebrated Spanish painter and printmaker in a 2006 film directed by Milos Forman?
9. Tony Curtis has never played an artist of renown, but he does dabble and once hung out with what famed New York-based shadow box artist?
10. Jared Harris, who has played both John Lennon and Henry VIII, took the part of what bewigged pop legend in a 1996 film?
11. Ed Harris was dazzling in Pollock, but Marcia Gay Harden also sparkled as his wife, who was also a talented abstract expressionist. Can you name her?
12. Andy Serkis was the voice of Smeagol in The Lord of the Rings, but he also had a turn as what tortured Dutch artist in Simon Schama’s recent series on art?
BONUS: A 2006 film about Gustav Klimt had Nikolai Kinski in the role of what Austrian artist who was known for his twisted nudes?
Please let us know if you have any suggestions for our puzzle master Larry Humber. E-mail us with "Puzzle" in the subject line.