The following is an excerpt from “Work in Progress,” by Kathy Gulrich in The Artist’s Magazine October 2007.
How to Beat the Odds
With a bit of talent – and a lot of hard work – virtually any artist can be successful. Here are Shirley Williams’ tips for doing just that:
• Be honest with yourself. Are you ready to do whatever it takes to become successful? What sacrifices are you really willing to make?
• Lose your ego. It’s not about you. Stay committed and ask for support whenever you need it.
• Educate your customers. The more they know, the more they’ll want your work.
• Guarantee your work. Don’t ever have a dissatisfied customer.
• Treasure your relationships. The ones you build today will build your business tomorrow.