DEADLINE: March 1, 2017
Winning art will be featured in North Light Books’ hardbound showcase of the best in contemporary acrylic. North Light Books will showcase the best of the best in a variety of styles and subjects.
You can edit or manage your entry HERE
All winners will appear in the fifth edition of AcrylicWorks .
Value is one of the key art elements of any two-dimensional artwork. To many artists, value represents the single most important element of a painting. The compositional structure that the tonal values create in a painting is the framework that holds everything else—color and detail—together. In a complex painting, the artist generally decides on a value key, whether in the light or dark range, or a full range of values from black to white. It is tonal value that most creates the illusion of three dimensions in an artwork, and it is also the foundation of composition. One cannot overstate the importance of value in painting and drawing.
For the AcrylicWorks 5 contest, we are looking for excellence in acrylic painting in a variety of styles and subjects. The dominant medium must be acrylic, but some minor use of other media is acceptable. If selected, you will be asked to write about your painting in relation to the theme Bold Values. This could be interpreted through your creative or technical process, materials and/or artistic inspiration.
- You must enter online. All entries must be submitted as digital files. There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit.
- Image requirements for entries: JPG files (Please try to keep the file size under 5 MB to ensure proper uploading). The viewing screen & thumbnail which you will see during the entry process is for general reference only and does not reflect the image quality that will be viewed by jurors. The file that you attach is exactly as it will appear to the jurors.
- All entrants should be prepared to be able to send a hi-resolution print-quality replacement file should their entry be among those selected as a winner. For publication these files should be 300 dpi when saved at approximately 8×10 inches (2400×3600 pixels), ideally, and 5×7 inches (1500×2100 pixels) at minimum. Winners will be asked to provide specific written information about their selected piece(s). This written information, in order to be accepted, will have to be provided electronically via e-mail. Winners will also be required to submit a high-resolution TIFF or JPG file (CMYK format/300dpi) for the work(s) to be published.
- The competition is open to artists anywhere in the world. All works must be original. Compositions based on published material or other artists’ work are NOT considered original and are not eligible. Employees of F+W, a Content and eCommerce Company, and their immediate families, are not eligible. North Light reserves the right to reject work deemed unsuitable for publication or that does not meet above criteria.
- Due to SEC restrictions we are unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, or North Korea.
- For more information visit our Preparing Your Entry Page or our FAQ page.
Sign up for Our Free Art Competitions email and receive updates on competition information including deadlines and winners. You’ll also receive our Free Artists Network newsletter.
Online Contest Software provided by WizeHive