DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 6, 2016
Sponsored by Pastel Journal, America’s leading magazine devoted to pastel artists, this annual competition offers cash, prizes and publicity to its talented winners. Get rewarded for your finest work! Winners will be featured in the April 2017 issue of Pastel Journal.
You can edit or manage your entry HERE
FIVE TOP PRIZES
- First Prize, Pastel Journal Founder’s Award in memory of Maggie Price:
- Second Prize, Pastel Journal Award of Excellence:
- Third Prize, Ruth Richeson Pastel GOLD Award:
Pastels and Pastel surfaces from Jack Richeson and Company, valued over $2,000
- Fourth Prize, Richeson Pastel SILVER Award:
Pastels and Pastel surfaces from Jack Richeson and Company, valued over $1,500
- Fifth Prize, Richeson Pastel BRONZE Award:
Pastels and Pastel surfaces from Jack Richeson and Company, valued over $1,000
25 Category Prizes
- 5 First Place Category Awards—$500 worth of Terry Ludwig Pastels
- 5 Second Place Category Awards—$350 worth of Great American pastels
- 5 Third Place Category Awards—$150 worth of Holbein pastels
- 5 Fourth Place Category Awards—$100 worth of PanPastels
- 5 Fifth Place Category Awards—$75 worth of UART pastel paper
All top prize winners and place winners will receive features in Pastel Journal (April 2017 issue).
70 Honorable Mentions will receive:
- Image and information about each painting will be published in Pastel Journal.
- Landscape + Interior—Barbara Jaenicke
- Portrait + Figure—Vianna Szabo
- Still Life + Floral—Brian Bailey
- Animal + Wildlife—Elizabeth Ganji
- Abstract + Non-Objective—Marcia Holmes
- You must enter online. All entries must be submitted as digital files. There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit.
- Image requirements for entries: JPG files (Please try to keep the file size under 5 MB to ensure proper uploading). The viewing screen & thumbnail which you will see during the entry process is for general reference only and does not reflect the image quality that will be viewed by jurors. The file that you attach is exactly as it will appear to the jurors.
- All entrants should be prepared to be able to send a hi-resolution print-quality replacement file should their entry be among those selected as a winner. For publication in Watercolor Artist, these files should be 300 dpi when saved at approximately 8×10 inches, ideally, and 5×7 inches at minimum.
- Artists can be from anywhere in the world. Work must be at least 80% soft pastel; no oil pastel. Nupastels and other “harder” pastels are considered soft pastels. The contest is open to artists in the U.S. and abroad. All works must be original. Compositions based on published material or other artists’ work are NOT considered original and are not eligible. Paintings executed in a workshop under another artist‘s supervision or paintings based on another person’s photograph (even if it’s copyright-free) are NOT eligible. Employees or associates of F+W, a Content and eCommerce Company, Jack Richeson & Co. Inc., or their immediate families may not enter. The Pastel Journal reserves the right to reject work deemed unsuitable for publication or that does not meet above criteria. Work previously published in a national publication or receiving an award at a national-level exhibition at the time of submission to this contest is not eligible.
- Due to SEC restrictions we are unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, Sudan or North Korea.
- For more information visit our Preparing Your Entry Page, Judging and Notification, or FAQ pages.
Sign up for Our Free Art Competitions email and receive updates on competition information including deadlines and winners. You’ll also receive our Free Artists Network newsletter.
Online Contest Software provided by WizeHive