Showcase your talent by entering this exciting competition, brought to you by the North Light team. We have dedicated the 19th edition of Splash Illusion of Light!
You can edit or manage your entry
All winners will appear in the nineteenth edition of Splash.
“I don’t paint people and things; I paint the way light reacts to people and things.”
If tonal value is the structure—the bones and muscle—of the painting, the illusion of light gives a painting its soul and allows it to transcend mere paint on paper. Light, offset by dark, creates emotion, sense of place, time of day, season and is the stuff memories are made of. There would be no art—and no life—without light. And artists work magic by creating the illusion of light on two dimensions with pigment and water.
For the Splash 19 contest, we are looking for excellence and originality as well as a variety of styles and subjects. If your artwork is selected you will be asked to write a paragraph that speaks to the theme of The Illusion of Light. For example: How do you create a specific effect of light—say, a sunset, fog, backlighting, overcast skies, etc.—in your painting? When you paint do you consciously consider the light, or do you develop it intuitively? How important is the illusion of light to your painting, and in what ways? How does the value of a painting interact with the illusion of light? These are just a few ideas. The dominant medium must be transparent watercolor, but minor use of other mediums is acceptable.
How to Enter
- You must enter online. All entries must be submitted as digital files. There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit.
- Image requirements for entries: JPG files (Please try to keep the file size under 5 MB to ensure proper uploading). When entering online, the viewing screen & thumbnail which you will see during the entry process is for general reference only and does not reflect the image quality that will be viewed by jurors. The file that you attach is exactly as it will appear to the jurors.
- All entrants should be prepared to be able to send a hi-resolution print-quality replacement file should their entry be among those selected as a winner. For publication these files should be 300 dpi when saved at approximately 8×10 inches (2400×3600 pixels), ideally, and 5×7 inches (1500×2100 pixels) at minimum. Winners will be asked to provide specific written information about their selected piece(s). This written information, in order to be accepted, will have to be provided electronically via e-mail. Winners will also be required to submit a high-resolution TIFF or JPG file (CMYK format/300dpi) for the work(s) to be published.
- The competition is open to artists anywhere in the world. All works must be original. Compositions based on published material or other artists’ work are NOT considered original and are not eligible. Employees of F+W, a Content and eCommerce Company, and their immediate families, are not eligible. North Light reserves the right to reject work deemed unsuitable for publication or that does not meet above criteria.
- Due to SEC restrictions we are unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, or North Korea.
- For more information visit our Preparing Your Entry Page or our FAQ page.
Sign up for Our Free Art Competitions email and receive updates on competition information including deadlines and winners. You’ll also receive our Free Artists Network newsletter.
Online Contest Software provided by WizeHive