Early-Bird Deadline: December 1, 2015
Showcase your talent by entering this exciting competition, brought to you by the North Light team. We have dedicated the 18th edition of Splash to Value: Light and Dark!
You can edit or manage your entry HERE
All winners will appear in the eighteenth edition of Splash.
Value is one of the key art elements of any two-dimensional artwork. To many artists, value represents the single most important element of a painting. The compositional structure that the tonal values create in a painting is the armature that holds everything else—color and detail—together. The artist often decides on a value key, whether in the light or dark range, or a full range of values from black to white. Or perhaps the subject clearly calls for particular values. It is tonal value that most creates the illusion of three dimensions. One cannot overstate the value of value in drawing and painting.
We will be looking for excellence and originality, as well as a variety of styles and subjects. If your artwork is selected you will be asked to write a paragraph that speaks to the theme of values: the lights and darks of your painting. For example: How does the color interact with the values in your painting? When you paint do you consciously consider tonal values, or do you develop them intuitively? How important are tonal values to your painting, and in what ways? How does the value of a painting affect its emotional content? These are just a few ideas. The dominant medium must be transparent watercolor, but minor use of other mediums is acceptable.
- You must enter online. All entries must be submitted as digital files. There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit.
- Image requirements for entries: JPG files (Please try to keep the file size under 5 MB to ensure proper uploading). When entering online, the viewing screen & thumbnail which you will see during the entry process is for general reference only and does not reflect the image quality that will be viewed by jurors. The file that you attach is exactly as it will appear to the jurors.
- All entrants should be prepared to be able to send a hi-resolution print-quality replacement file should their entry be among those selected as a winner. For publication these files should be 300 dpi when saved at approximately 8×10 inches (2400×3600 pixels), ideally, and 5×7 inches (1500×2100 pixels) at minimum. Winners will be asked to provide specific written information about their selected piece(s). This written information, in order to be accepted, will have to be provided electronically via e-mail. Winners will also be required to submit a high-resolution TIFF or JPG file (CMYK format/300dpi) for the work(s) to be published.
- The competition is open to artists anywhere in the world. All works must be original. Compositions based on published material or other artists’ work are NOT considered original and are not eligible. Employees of F+W, a Content and eCommerce Company, and their immediate families, are not eligible. North Light reserves the right to reject work deemed unsuitable for publication or that does not meet above criteria.
- Due to SEC restrictions we are unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, or North Korea.
- For more information visit our Preparing Your Entry Page or our FAQ page.
Sign up for Our Free Art Competitions email and receive updates on competition information including deadlines and winners. You’ll also receive our Free Artists Network newsletter.
Online Contest Software provided by WizeHive