The Artist’s Magazine’s Annual Art Competition wants to honor your most outstanding work. If your art is deserving of being celebrated in the pages of The Artist’s Magazine, this competition is for you! $24,000 in cash prizes plus publication in The Artist’s Magazine.
You can edit or manage your entry
CASH & PRIZES
- 5 First Place Awards: $2,500 each
- 5 Second Place Awards: $1,250 each
- 5 Third Place Awards: $750 each
- 15 Honorable Mentions: $100 each
- Winners’ names and work will be featured and finalists’ names published in the Jan/Feb 2018 issue.
- 9 finalists will be showcased in the magazine’s “Competition Spotlight” feature.
- 12 finalists will be featured as “Artist of the Month” on our website.
- 5 First Place Awards: free subscription to ATV for 1 year ($199 value)+ two free ANU courses
- 5 Second Place Awards: free subscription to ATV for 1 year ($199 value) + one free ANU course
- 5 Third Place Awards: free subscription to ATV for 1 year ($199 value)
- Award winners’ names and work will be featured in the December 2017 issue.
- Portrait/Figure-Portrait and figure entries can be individuals or groups, and will be judged on expressiveness and draftsmanship.
Juror: David Jon Kassan
- Still Life/Interior-Entries will be judged on overall design, unique arrangement of subject matter, handling of medium, lighting and mood.
Juror: Jaye Schlesinger
- Landscape-Any landscape, from city scenes to imaginary horizons, will be judged on the creative use of form, space, lighting and mood.
Juror: Jerry N. Weiss
- Abstract/Experimental-With unlimited subject matter, entries will be judged on creative use of design, texture, media, lighting or special techniques.
Juror: Betsy Dillard Stroud
- Animal/Wildlife-Any animal in any setting is fair game for this category. Entries will be judged on the innovative handling of the subject, the expression and rendering.
Juror: Julie Askew
- You must enter online. All entries must be submitted as digital files. There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit.
- Image requirements for entries: JPG files (Please try to keep the file size under 5 MB to ensure proper uploading). The viewing screen & thumbnail which you will see during the entry process is for general reference only and does not reflect the image quality that will be viewed by jurors. The file that you attach is exactly as it will appear to the jurors.
- All entrants should be prepared to be able to send a hi-resolution print-quality replacement file should their entry be among those selected as a winner. For publication in The Artist’s Magazine, these files should be 300 dpi when saved at approximately 8×10 inches (2400×3600 pixels), ideally, and 5×7 inches (1500×2100 pixels) at minimum.
- Student/beginner entrants must be at least 16 yrs. old – there is no maximum age requirement. They may not have been enrolled in a post-high school art program for more than six years and may not have pursued art on their own or in workshops/lessons for more than six years.
- The competition is open to artists anywhere in the world working in traditional media. Only two-dimensional, original artwork, conceived and created by the entrant, will be considered. Two-dimensional means that a mixed media cannot exceed an inch in depth. “Original” means that if a painting is based on photos, the photos were taken by the artist or the artist has written permission from the photographer to use the photos. The Artist’s Magazine reserves the right to request proof of photographer’s written permission. “Traditional media” meaning: Oil, oil pastel, soft pastel, charcoal, graphite, ink, colored pencil, watercolor, casein, gouache, acrylic, mixed media (all water media or oil based media); silver or other metal point, collage; mixed media collage; handmade paper; wax and other crayons on paper or board; printmaking (etching, mezzotint, lithography, woodcut, monotype, mono print, aquatint).Photography, with the exception of minor elements incorporated in a collage, will not be considered. Neither digital art nor sculpture will be considered. Employees of F+W, a Content and Commerce Company, and their immediate families are not eligible.
- Due to SEC restrictions we are unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, or North Korea.
- For more information visit our Preparing Your Entry Page, Judging and Notification, or FAQ pages.
Sign up for Our Free Art Competitions email and receive updates on competition information including deadlines and winners. You’ll also receive our Free Artists Network newsletter.
Online Contest Software provided by WizeHive