Concerned about health hazards when painting with oils? Just follow these tips and all will be well:
- Paint in a well-ventilated area.
- Don’t paint in the kitchen.
- Never ingest paint.
- Wear clothing that keeps paint off your skin or use paint barriers that keeps paint from absorbing into your skin.
- When paint gets on your skin, wash it off with soap and water—not with solvents.
- Before cleaning your brushes with solvents, wipe off the excess paint with a paper towel.
- Dispose solvents, paints, paper towels and other waste products from your painting session into a closed metal can.
- Except when disposing of waste products, keep your metal disposal can closed.
- Consult your local officials for information about how to dispose of the contents of your disposal can.
This is a summary of the Ask the Experts column in the November 2009 issue of The Artist’s Magazine. Order a copy at www.NorthLightShop.com .
MORE RESOURCES FOR ARTISTS
- Online Seminars for Fine Artists
- Instantly download fine art magazines, books & video workshops
- Sign up for your Artist’s Network email newsletter & receive free fine art tips & demos