Recently, John Pierce Barnes’s vibrant impressionistic paintings—among them 24 small pastels—were uncovered, revealing a window into the intriguing story of the artist as a young man and the often overlooked shift from Impressionism to Modernism that took place in early 20th-century American art.
Read more about John Pierce Barnes and his landscape paintings in the June 2012 issue of Pastel Journal, and enjoy a web-exclusive gallery of his work below.
No. 02 (pastel) by John Pierce Barnes
No. 12 (pastel) by John Pierce Barnes
No. 15 (pastel) by John Pierce Barnes
No. 21 (pastel) by John Pierce Barnes
No. 24 (pastel) by John Pierce Barnes
MORE RESOURCES FOR ARTISTS
• Subscribe to Pastel Journal and don’t miss a single issue!
• Save money with a digital subscription to Pastel Journal
• Sign up today to receive pastel news, previews and special offers with our free bi-weekly e-newsletter!
• Study art at home with the authors of your favorite instructional art books. NEW online courses are now available from Artist Network University!
• Watch art workshops on demand at ArtistsNetwork.TV
You may also like these articles: