How to Paint Water in Pastel | Amy K. Sanders’ Sea-Inspired Pastel Color Chart
Living on the Outer Cape in Massachusetts, pastel landscape artist Amy K. Sanders, featured in the December 2012 issue of Pastel Journal, finds that the Atlantic Ocean’s water and waves offer ongoing inspiration for her pastel painting.
For her painting, Low Tide, Shore Break (below), Amy first selected an image that featured water in a variety of forms—from distant deep blue water to water thinly swirling over a sandy beach. She also created a pastel color chart (below) for the pastels she used for painting waves and completing her surf-and-sand seascape.
Low Tide, Shore Break (pastel, 10×9.75)
For a detailed step-by-step of this painting, as well as tips on how to paint water in pastel, see the December 2012 issue of Pastel Journal.
View an online gallery featuring three of Amy’s seascape pastel paintings here.
MORE RESOURCES FOR PASTEL ARTISTS
• Subscribe to Pastel Journal magazine
• Watch pastel art workshops on demand at ArtistsNetwork.TV
• Get unlimited access to over 100 art instruction ebooks
• Online seminars for fine artists
• Find pastel painting downloads, books, videos & more
• Sign up for your Pastel Journal e-mail & download a FREE issue of Pastel Journal magazine
You may also like these articles: