Abstract Expression | Maria Malczewska-Bernhardt
The Polish-German artist Maria Malczewska-Bernhardt, featured in the October 2013 issue of Pastel Journal, is a skilled technician capable of painting breathtaking realism in pastel, but she has also been interested in painting nonrepresentationally. The following pastels are abstractions, or in the artist’s words, “expressions.” They stand in contrast to her highly realistic fabric paintings with imagery that is freer and brushwork that is more gestural. To see examples of her more realistic work, check out the feature, “Above the Fold” by Kai Artinger in the October issue available here.
Untitled (pastel; 80×60 cm) by Maria Malczewska-Bernhardt from the cycle, “Ethiudes”
Untitled VI (pastel, 70×60 cm) by Maria Malczewska-Bernhardt from the cycle, “Expressions”
Untitled V (pastel, 89×60 cm) by Maria Malczewska-Bernhardt from the cycle, “Expressions”
Untitled II (pastel, 89×60 cm) by Maria Malczewska-Bernhardt from the cycle, “Ethiudes”
MORE RESOURCES FOR ARTISTS
• Look for Richard McKinley’s Pastel Pointers column on pastel palettes in the new August 2013 issue of Pastel Journal!
• New Videos! Learn How to Create Painterly Portraits in Pastel with Alain Picard!
• Watch pastel art workshops on demand at ArtistsNetwork.TV
• Get unlimited access to over 100 art instruction ebooks
• Online seminars for fine artists
You may also like these articles: