In the pastel work of Hungarian-born British artist Victor Ambrus, one may find very little in the way of superfluous marks: His portraits are sparsely rendered, generally depicting only the subject and leaving the larger mise-en-scène to the viewer’s imagination. And yet in his precise, gestural strokes, he’s able to convey both a likeness and the sense of a rich interior world. Enjoy this web-exclusive gallery of his work below, and read more about Victor Ambrus in the June 2012 issue of Pastel Journal.
Natalie With Apple Basket (pastel) by Victor Ambrus
Morris Man (pastel) by Victor Ambrus
Claire (pastel) by Victor Ambrus
Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts (pastel) by Victor Ambrus
Spanish Dancer (pastel) by Victor Ambrus
MORE RESOURCES FOR ARTISTS
• Subscribe to Pastel Journal and don’t miss a single issue!
• Save money with a digital subscription to Pastel Journal
• Sign up today to receive pastel news, previews and special offers with our free bi-weekly e-newsletter
• Study art at home with the authors of your favorite instructional art books. NEW online courses are now available from Artist Network University!
• Watch art workshops on demand at ArtistsNetwork.TV
You may also like these articles: