Latest Post from The Artist’s Magazine
- Progression of Heavenly Hues: A Pastel Step-by-Step Demo In this excerpt from Stan Sperlak’s feature article “Into the Night” from The Artist’s Magazine (June 2013), Sperlak demonstrates how to complete a sunset landscape from start to finish. Scroll down to read this step-by-step demo, and learn how to portray with pastel the ethereal qualities of night.
- Where I Get My Vintage Illustration Fix In my heart, I belong to Cincinnati. This town is known for loyalists, and even though I typically buck against the current, this is one instance in my life where I proudly flow along with it in content tranquility. That is why I always feel slightly guilty when I skip over all the cute little ...
- Artists Network Online Events and WetCanvas Live! FREE Online Event! Stop Starving! Sell Your Art! with Paul Dorrell | Tuesday, May 14th, 1pm EDT Join a live, FREE, online discussion with Paul Dorrell, best selling author of Living the Artist’s Life. A columnist for The Artist’s Magazine and Absolute Arts, Paul has helped develop careers for scores of successful artists. Paul will ...
- Understanding Value and Tone for Better Painting Did you know that good drawing and rendering skills will help give you a solid foundation in tone, otherwise known as value? Value is how light or darkness of a color.
For example: If you took a black and white photograph of your painting, the shades of grey would be the different values or tones within the ...
- Currently Open for Submissions! Artistic Excellence from Southwest Art is now accepting entries. Details Here! Deadline is June 17! Other Upcoming Art Contests can be found on our Art Competitions page.