Are the following statements true or false?
(Scroll to the end of page for answers.)
1. Leonardo Da Vinci kept thousands of pages of notes and sketches that anticipated major inventions and scientific discoveries, including the printing press and blood circulation theories.
2. Michelangelo completed his first major workthe Pietaat age 23.
3. The invention of oil painting is credited to Jan van Eyckthe artist who painted Arnolfini Wedding.
4. Vincent van Gogh completed more self-portraits than any artist before him.
5. When it was first exhibited, Edvard Munchs The Scream was so controversial that the exhibit was closed.
6. The sculptor of Mount RushmoreGutzon Borglumonce said the monument was more significant than the great Egyptian pyramids.
7. Noted artist George Bellows gave up a career in professional baseball to be a painter.
8. Norman Rockwell detested the drip paintings of Jackson Pollock.
9. Oil paintings brought Edward Hopper his first real success as an artist.
10. James Abbott McNeill Whistlers famous piece Whistlers Mother is really titled Arrangement in Gray and Black No. 1.
3. False. His brother Hubert van Eyck is credited with the invention.
4. False. Rembrandt did more.
8. False. Rockwell admired them.
9. False. His first success came as a watercolorist.
Catherine Anderson is a signature member of the National Watercolor Society, Watercolor West and the Rocky Mountain National Watermedia Society. Visit her Web site at www.catherineanderson.net.