Picture book designer, writer and illustrator Eric Carle has written more than 70 picture books enjoyed by children and adults around the globe. He’s known for his brightly colored, painted-tissue-paper collages, his ability to teach basic concepts with simple words and illustrations, and for the special-production features designed into his books. Resources such as books, photos, slide shows and more, both by and about Eric Carle, abound. Here are some of the best:
- The Official Eric Carle website: www.eric-carle.com
Includes a blog, newsletters, a list of Carle’s books and more. Be sure to check out the photo and video gallery, with step-by-step demonstrations of Carle painting tissues and creating collages.
- The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art: www.carlemuseum.org
- The Art of Eric Carle, by Eric Carle (Philomel, 1996)
An anecdotal look at Carle’s work, with writing by Carle and others who have worked closely with him.
- Artist to Artist: 23 Major Illustrators Talk to Children About Their Art (Philomel Books, 2007)
An anthology of art and insights from illustrators of some of literature’s most delightful picture books.
- Eric Carle: Picture Writer (The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art, 2008)
Carle reads some of his most popular picture books and demonstrates how he paints tissue paper and creates a collage.
Eric Carle is featured in the July/August issue of The Artist’s Magazine, available at www.NorthLightShop.com. Also see Artists Network article Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art for an exclusive interview with Eric Carle about the museum he cofounded with this wife, Barbara.
MORE RESOURCES FOR ARTISTS
- Online Seminars for Fine Artists
- Instantly download fine art magazines, books & video workshops
- Sign up for your Artist’s Network email newsletter & receive free fine art tips & demos