What to Look for in Your Acrylic Painting Supplies
When you start anything new or come back to something after years away, you can feel like you are walking on shaky ground: unsteady, hesitant and looking for something stable to hold onto. If you are interested in painting, this list will be that stable anchor to grab hold of.
Even if you aren’t sure what kind of painting you want to get into, I always recommend beginning with acrylic painting because it is affordable with easy clean up and no compromise on color. So jot down these tips on your acrylic painting supplies and take note of the starter palette colors I offer up to you. Enjoy!
Good Quality Starts With…
- High pigment content, which means more color and less filler.
- A flexible resin binder. Colors dry fast and then harden, but do not become flaky. There should be no surface cracking whatsoever.
- All colors dry at the same rate, so be sure to test them at the store.
- Labelled permanent or extremely permanent. That means the colors you put down will stay the way they look and then they will never discolor or alter over time.
- Get your hands on a manufacturer’s product color chart that is made with actual paints and not printed. These show the range of colors as they actually appear.
- Don’t be put off if you don’t find certain colors like viridian and alizarin crimson. These don’t mix well with the resin binder of acrylics and so manufacturers use alternative pigments to get as close to the historical color as possible. This is indicated by the suffix “hue.”
A Palette Built for You
Now that we’ve talked acrylic painting supplies, here’s a list of colors that you can easily create a starter palette with.
- Cadmium red
- Permanent rose
- Yellow ocher
- Cadmium yellow pale
- Phthalocyanine blue
- Ultramarine blue
- Burnt umber
- Titanium white
Your First Acrylic Technique
Arrange your palette and warm up and dabble. Now you are ready for handy guidance! You are ready for Linda Kemp’s Negative Painting Techniques: Light in Acrylic Video Download.
If you love nature, love the fun of learning painting alongside an enthusiastic, inspiring instructor, this video download is for you. Enjoy the dazzling light effects that Linda will show you and put them into practice the next time you pick up a paintbrush. It’s that easy!