How to Paint Landscapes in Oils
In this week’s Jen’s Picks, we focus on oil painting techniques for creating a beautiful landscape painting. You’ll learn how to create a breathtaking landscape painting from start to finish alongside instructor Carolyn Lewis. In this art lesson, you’ll learn how to paint a beautiful sunset in oils.
- how to paint a stunning sunset in oils from a photo reference
- how to block in the shapes to create a strong foundation
- tips for mixing your paint colors
- how to create mood and atmosphere for dramatic landscapes
- how to add light and shadow to your landscape painting
- how to create seamless transitions between landscape elements, such as working the sand back into the shrubbery
- how to refine and harmonize the painting for a finished look
- the four important elements of a landscape painting in oil
Preview the video below to learn about blocking in the big shapes on a primed canvas and the importance of sky holes.