Randall C. Sexton teaches participants how to create oil paintings in response to subjects that they were anxious to paint. Here is his 11-step checklist for getting it right!
by M. Stephen Doherty
- Is the focus of my painting clear? If not, how can it be reinforced?
- Does anything need additional work?
- Is there a general sense of harmony in the painting?
- That is, do the technique and color work together as part of the ‘same world’?
- What finishing touches could I add to give the painting more zing?
- Is there a convincing sense of depth?
- Does the initial abstract value pattern still read clearly?
- Is there enough detail … or too much detail?
- Does the painting convey the mood that I intended to express?
- Does this painting really represent me?
- As successful as the painting might be, would the next one be even better?