“The early bird catcheth the worm.”
—from A Collection of English Proverbs by John Ray (1670)
Modern-day translation: The Early-Bird Deadline for the 17th Annual Pastel 100 is fast approaching: 11:59 PM EST, Monday, August 3. (The Final Deadline is 11:59 PM EST, Tuesday, September 1, if you need a little extra time to craft your masterpiece(s).)
So, don’t miss your chance to share your finest pastel work and win recognition and reward. There’s a total of $7,500 in cash prizes and $10,375 in material prizes available, and winning artwork will be featured in the April 2016 issue of Pastel Journal.
– Pastel Journal Founder’s Award in memory of Maggie Price: $5,000 cash
– Pastel Journal Award of Excellence: $2,500 cash
– Ruth Richeson Pastel GOLD Award: pastels and pastel surfaces from Jack Richeson and Company, valued over $2,000
– Richeson Pastel SILVER Award: pastels and pastel surfaces from Jack Richeson and Company, valued over $1,500
– Richeson Pastel BRONZE Award: pastels and pastel surfaces from Jack Richeson and Company, valued over $1,000
– PLUS: Art material prizes for five placewinners in each category: Landscapes + Interior; Portrait + Figure; Still Life + Floral; Animals + Wildlife; and Abstract + Non-Objective
For guidelines and entry forms—and to enter online—visit the 17th Annual Pastel 100 Competition site.
MORE RESOURCES FOR ARTISTS
Check out Capturing Light with Alain Picard collection! Get all three of Picard’s newly released video workshops, focusing on capturing light and color in pastel, along with two quarter sheets of toned pastel paper from Savoir Faire and a 14-piece set of Terry Ludwig pastels. Plus, you’ll get a signed art print from Picard, and a copy of his book, Pastel Basics. Only a limited number are available, so order yours today!