Fall is such a glorious time of year, isn’t it?
It’s not that I don’t like the other seasons — I have a soft spot for both spring and summer. (You can keep winter; really, it’s all yours.) But fall is my favorite — for reasons like these:
* the way the fall sun shines bright and orange as it dips slowly below the horizon at the end of the day
* the cloudless blue skies, a blue somehow unlike at any other time of year
* the color and smell of fall leaves, floating without a care to the ground where they crunch satisfyingly beneath my feet
* big woolen sweaters and wearing socks again (finally!)
* and homemade stews and soups and more apple desserts than you can shake a stick at!
I’d love to know what your favorite things about fall are. (Please! Leave comments below!)
As you ponder and celebrate this season of earthly delights, I’d like to leave you with these 19 paintings — watercolor, acrylic and maybe a little mixed media thrown in for good measure — which I’ve culled from the pages of some of our best books including the Splash and Acrylicworks series, Paint Beautiful Watercolor Landscapes, Watercolor Masters and Legends and John Salminen Master of the Urban Landscape. Some are obvious renders of autumn scenes and landscapes, some just set the mood for fall with seasonally appropriate still lifes, and some, while abstract, still made me feel the season in my soul. I hope you find as much inspiration in these wonderful works of art as I do. Enjoy!
Feeling Fall: 19 Paintings Celebrating the Season