We are extending the deadline for the Showcase Your State plein air contest until January 31, 2009. We are accepting submissions for New Jersey, Massachusetts, and North Dakota. The first Showcase Your State finalists will appear on this blog in February and will feature the winners for the state of New Jersey. Below is the original post explaining the rules and submission process:
American Artist is announcing a new contest for the Plein Air section of our website that will allow plein air painters from across the country to showcase their state and tell us a little bit about the landscape they call home.
Beginning in February, we will highlight one state per month, and we will be accepting plein air submissions from artists in that state a month prior to the judging period. The top paintings will then be featured in a Plein Air Blog article, along with your name, hometown, and a brief description of the location/landscape you painted and what it means to you.
We are now accepting submissions for the states of New Jersey (February), Massachusetts (March), and North Dakota (April), so if you are a plein air painter from one of these states (each of the 50 states will be highlighted in the coming months), submit your plein air painting now for consideration!
• You may submit no more than 2 plein air paintings per state for consideration.
• We prefer that work submitted was done en plein air. You may also submit studio paintings based on plein air sketches, but please include the plein air piece along with the finished studio work as part of your submission.
• Submissions may come from residents of the state for which you’re applying, or you can submit plein air works done while visiting other states.
• Please include the following information with your submission: title, year, medium, and dimensions of the painting; your full name and hometown; a brief (no more than 200-words) description of the location of each painting and what that location means to you/how you approached it. Pieces must have been painted within the last three years.
• We will accept e-mail submissions only, with the painting attached as a JPEG, at least 72 DPI. Please title your digital file with the state you’re from and your last name, i.e.: New Jersey_Smith.jpg.
• E-mail your submission for New Jersey, Massachusetts, or North Dakota to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31. Please include the state for which you’re applying in the subject line of your e-mail, i.e.: Showcase Your State: New Jersey. The first Showcase Your State blog post will appear online during the month of February.
Judging and Rules & Regulations:
Children under age 18 must have a parent or legal guardian's written permission to submit their enteries, requests for information, or photographs and such permission must accompany the enteries, personal information, or photographs or they will not be considered.
Employees (and their immediate families and household members) of American Artist and its parent, subsidiaries, affiliated entities, and advertisers are not eligible to submit enteries, personal information or photographs.
American Artist has the right to edit and/or alter any submission. American Artist reserves the right not to use the material submitted and/or as little of that material as it chooses.
By submitting your questions, personal information or photos for good and valuable consideration, the sufficiency and receipt of which you hereby acknowledge, you hereby grant to American Artist a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to edit, telecast, rerun, reproduce, use, syndicate, license, print, distribute and otherwise exploit the materials you submit, or any portion thereof, as incorporated in any of American Artist's print and online products, or the promotion thereof, in any manner and in any medium or forum, whether now known or hereafter devised, without making payment to you or any third party. You represent and warrant to American Artist that you have the full legal right, power and authority to grant to American Artist the license provided for herein, that you own or control the complete exhibition and other rights to the materials you submitted for the purposes contemplated in this license and that neither the materials nor the exercise of the rights granted herein shall infringe upon or violate the right of privacy or right of publicity of, or constitute a libel or slander against, or violate any common law or any other right of, any person or entity. This license shall be governed by the laws of the State of New York.