Artists Magazine Annual Art Competition Official Rules
THIS IS NOT A GAME OF CHANCE. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
- Entry Period. Entries in the Artists Magazine 38th Annual Art Competition (the “Contest”) must be submitted between 12:01 a.m. ET on January 9, 2021, and 11:59 p.m. ET on June 30, 2021. The Early Bird deadline for taking advantage of reduced entry fees is 11:59 p.m. ET on April 19, 2021.
Regular Division Eligibility: The Contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and residents of Canada, who are at least eighteen (18) years old and of the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence.
Student Division Eligibility: The Contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and residents of Canada. Student/beginner entrants must be at least 16 years old – there is no maximum age requirement. They may not have been enrolled in a post-high school art program for more than six years and may not have pursued art on their own or in workshops/lessons for more than six years.
Employees of Sponsor, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and divisions, their immediate families (parent, child, sibling, spouse), and persons living in the same households of such individuals (whether related or not) are not eligible to participate in the Contest.
- How to Enter. Enter as often as you like. Entries must be submitted as JPG digital files online at https://goldenpeakmedia.submittable.com/submit during the Entry Period. Files under 5MB are more likely to upload properly. Entrants should be prepared to send a hi-resolution print-quality replacement file should their entry be selected as a Winner; detailed requirements will be provided at that time.
Entry fees are due with entries. Your record of the credit card or PayPal charge will be your receipt. Fees are as follows:
- Early Bird Deadline:
- Regular Division Entry fee: $35
- Student Division Entry fee: $15
- Final Deadline
- Regular Division Entry fee: $40
- Student Division Entry fee: $20
4. Additional Requirements for Entries.
Animal/Wildlife: Any animal in any setting is fair game for this category. Entries will be judged, among other criteria, on the innovative handling of the subject, the expression and rendering.
Abstract/Experimental: With unlimited subject matter, entries will be judged on the artist’s use of design, texture, media, lighting and special techniques, among other criteria.
Landscape: Any landscape, from city scenes to imaginary horizons, will be judged, among other things, on the artist’s use of form, space, lighting and mood.
Portrait/Figure: Portrait and figure entries can be individuals or groups, and will be judged, among other criteria, on expressiveness and draftsmanship.
Still Life/Interior: Entries will be judged, among other criteria, on overall design, unique arrangement of subject matter, handling of medium, lighting and mood.
All works must be original. “Original” means that the work must be from the hand of a single artist; pieces that originate from a workshop or a class under the direction of a teacher are not eligible. For works based on reference photographs, eligibility requires that the artist must have taken the photographs or have obtained written permission from the photographer to create the work and to enter it in the Contest. Compositions based on published material or other artists’ work are NOT considered original and are not eligible.
The contest is open to artists working in a variety of traditional art media, including oil, acrylic, watercolor, casein, gouache, egg tempera, soft pastel, oil pastel, charcoal, graphite, colored pencil, pen and ink, graphite, charcoal, colored pencil, ink or marker, scratchboard, mixed media and mixed-media collage, silver or other metal point, and printmaking (etching, mezzotint, lithography, woodcut, monotype, mono print, aquatint). Photography, with the exception of minor elements incorporated in a collage, will NOT be considered. Sculpture will NOT be considered. Digital art will NOT be considered. Entries are limited to two-dimensional artwork. Two-dimensional means that a mixed media cannot exceed one inch in depth.
By entering, you represent and warrant that your entry is your original work, that your entry does not infringe the rights of any third party, and that you have all the rights necessary to submit the entry and to assign the rights in the entry.
Works deemed unsuitable for publication or that do not meet above criteria, in the sole discretion of Sponsor, are not eligible. Works previously published at the time of submission to this contest in a national publication or receiving an award at a national-level exhibition are not eligible.
5. Limited Grant of Rights. By entering, you grant to Sponsor, its licensees and designees, the worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free right to use the entry in Sponsor’s magazines, on Sponsor’s websites, in Sponsor’s digital products, and in ads promoting future competitions, without further permission, compensation, or notification. You further agree that Sponsor shall have the right, but not the obligation, to use your name and/or photograph for the same purposes.
6. Judging and Notification. There will be a total of forty (40) Winners in the Regular Division: five First Place Winners, one in each category, five Second Place Winners, one in each category, five Third Place Winners, one in each category, and twenty-five Honorable Mentions, five in each category. In the Student Division, there will be a total of fifteen (15) Winners: five First Place Winners, one in each category, five Second Place Winners, one in each category, and five Third Place Winners, one in each category. Limit one (1) prize per entrant. All eligible entries will be judged in two rounds using the following criteria:
- Artistic technique
- Handling of medium
- Design and creative elements
- Overall impression/impact
Judging will be done in each category by qualified judges. Anne Peyton will judge the Animal/Wildlife category, Carla O’Connor will judge the Abstract/Experimental category, Desmond O’Hagan will judge the Landscape category, Jean Pederson will judge the Portrait/Figure category, and Todd Case will judge the Still Life/Interior category. The judges will name the Winners and Honorable Mentions. Judging will be blind; no information regarding the entrants will be shared with judge until all scoring has been made final. In the event of a tie, the entry with the highest score in overall impression/impact will be deemed the Winner. If there is still a tie, the judge will select the entry deemed to be the better entry overall.
Potential Winners will be notified within ninety (90) days of the close of the Entry Period, by email. Each Potential Winner will be required to complete and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Compliance with Official Rules, a Publicity Release, and a Release of Liability within ten (10) days of notification. If a Potential Winner does not respond to notification or does not return the forms in the required time, the prize will go to the person with the next highest score.
- The five First Place Winners will each receive a $2,500 cash award + free subscription to Artists Network TV for 1 year ($99 value)
- The five Second Place Winners will each receive a $1,250 cash award + free subscription to Artists Network TV for 1 year ($99 value)
- The five Third Place Winner will each receive a $750 cash award + free subscription to Artists Network TV for 1 year ($99 value)
- Twenty-five Honorable Mentions will each receive a $100 cash award + free subscription to Artists Network TV for 1 year ($99 value)
- Winners’ names and work will be featured in the Jan/Feb 2022 issue of Artists Magazine and will receive a digital promotional badge
- The five First Place Winners will each receive a free subscription to Artists Network TV for 1 year ($99 value) + Feature on Artists Network website
- The five Second Place Winners will each receive a free subscription to Artists Network TV for 1 year ($99 value) + Feature on Artists Network Instagram
- The five Third Place Winners will each receive a free subscription to Artists Network TV for 1 year ($99 value)
Total retail value of all prizes is $30,445.00.
If a portion of the prize becomes unavailable for any reason, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of the same type and approximate retail value. All federal, state, and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the Winner.
- Odds. Odds of winning depend on the number and quality of eligible entries. Sponsor cannot predict the number or quality of entries.
- General Conditions. Void where prohibited. Any entrant suspected of tampering with or disrupting any aspect of the Contest will be disqualified. All decisions of Sponsor are final. By your participation in the Contest, you (i) agree to be bound by these Official Rules, (ii) agree to release, indemnify, and hold Sponsor, their affiliates, parents, subsidiaries, and divisions, and all of their officers, directors, employees, and agents harmless from any and all claims, liabilities, losses, and damages of any kind arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from your participation in the Contest, from Sponsor’s use of your entry, or from your acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any Prize, and (iii) agree that any dispute or claim will be resolved individually and without resort to class action.
- Limitation of Liability. SPONSOR MAKES NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NONINFRINGEMENT WITH RESPECT TO THE PRIZES. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT PERMIT LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS TO DETERMINE IF ANY OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, misdirected, or unintelligible entries, including entries not received because of interrupted or unavailable network servers, failed communications networks or equipment, computer hardware or software, or other errors or malfunctions whether human, mechanical, or electronic. Should Sponsor, in its sole discretion, determine that the Contest has been compromised by virus, bugs, hackers, or other causes beyond its control, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or revise the contest and choose the Winner in a fair and reasonable manner from among all eligible entries submitted prior to termination.
- Privacy. With the exception of the Winner’s name, city, and state, information collected by Sponsor solely in connection with the Contest will not be shared with third parties.
- Winner’s List. For the name, city, and state of the Winners, please send a request to [email protected] after the results have been made public and no later than December 31st, 2022.
- Sponsor. The Sponsor of the Contest is Peak Media Properties LLC d/b/a Golden Peak Media, 9912 Carver Road, Blue Ash, OH 45242.