We’ve decided to do a second quiz about women in art—click here to see the first—because there’s still so much to discover. The first 12 questions are worth a point each, and the bonus gets you three points, so a perfect score is 15.
1. Camille Claudel, a talented sculptor in her own right, is better known for her relationship with another French sculptor. Who’s he?
2. What Polish-born painter, recently in fashion again, is known for her chic portraits and Art Deco style?
3. Painter Josephine Nivison modeled for many of her husband’s works, a number of which are in the Whitney Museum. Who was her long-time partner?
4. What impressionist greatly influenced Edouard Manet and wed his brother?
5. Anna Mary Robertson was a naïve painter better known by this name.
6. What film star’s 1963 portrait by Andy Warhol recently sold for more than $20 million at auction?
7. What French sculptor, whose last name means “common,” went on to represent the United States at the Venice Biennale in 1993?
8. This painter-photographer shot Guernica in progress and was among Picasso’s many lovers.
9. Lee Miller, another celebrated photographer, was both a student and model of what noted Philadelphia-born surrealist artist?
10. She starred in a number of Warhol’s underground flicks and was the subject of a 2006 feature film called Factory Girl. Can you name her?
11. Alfred Stieglitz was an early mentor of this artist who passed away aged 98 in Santa Fe, where there’s a museum of her work. What’s her name?
12. Who was the ill-fated photographer played by Nicole Kidman in Fur?
BONUS: For years, Christo got all the acclaim, but more recently his wife is getting recognition, too. What’s her name?
Click here to see the answers.
Please let us know if you have any suggestions for our puzzle master Larry Humber. E-mail us with “Puzzle” in the subject line.