The letter X isn’t that common, but it does crop up in the art world fairly frequently. The answers to all the following questions include an X—we’ve given you their positions to get you started. The first 12 questions are worth a point each, and the bonus gets you three points, so a perfect score is 15.
1. A showing of one’s work is an _ x _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.
2. The great Paul Cezanne spent much of his life in the south of France, in _ _ x-en-Provence.
3. Joseph Beuys and Yoko Ono were both linked to the avant-garde group
_ _ _ x _ _.
4. Frida Kahlo was a celebrated _ _ x _ _ _ _ painter.
5. _ _ x _ _ _ _ _ is a permanent waterproof spray used to protect artwork from smearing.
6. Vincent van Gogh was a forerunner of the art movement called
_ x _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.
7. Some sculptors employ the _ _ _ _-_ _ x method.
8. Eugene _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ x is best known for his work Liberty Leading the People, which even appeared on French currency.
9. The late Robert Rauschenberg hailed from Port Arthur, which is in _ _ x _ _.
10. _ _ x _ _ _ _ _ was a German-born surrealist who came to America with Peggy Guggenheim.
11. To see some outstanding cave paintings, visit _ _ _ _ _ _ x, in the Dordogne region of France.
12. Digital images are made up of tiny squares of color called _ _ x _ _ _.
BONUS: Louis XIV established this scholarship for promising artists, the _ _ _ x _ _ _ _ _ _, which, notably, Degas and Manet applied for and did not win.
Please let us know if you have any suggestions for our puzzle master Larry Humber. E-mail us with "Puzzle" in the subject line.