The hands not only make art happen, they appear in many well-known works. There are 12 questions for you to answer, all pertaining to hands in art.
Give yourself a point for each correct answer. If you get eight or more, you can advance to the bonus question, worth three points. So a perfect score is 15. Good luck!
- In Leonardo’s Mona Lisa, which hand rests atop the other?
- In Leonardo’s famous figure drawing The Vitruvian Man, how many hands are shown?
- Speaking of the classics, is Michelangelo’s David holding anything, or are his hands bare?
- A much reproduced portion of Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel is known as The Creation of Adam. Which of Adam’s hands is extended towards the hand of God? And which finger of that hand?
- In Grant Wood’s American Gothic, the man is holding a pitchfork in his right hand. Do we see all of that hand, several fingers but no thumb, or several fingers and the thumb?
- Who said of one of his most famous works, “I wanted to convey the idea that the people eating potatoes by the light of an oil lamp used the same hands with which they take food from the plate to work the land”?
- In Sandro Botticelli’s much-loved Birth of Venus, the goddess has one hand over her breast and is holding what in the other?
- Most of Walt Disney’s best-loved characters have only four fingers. How about Snow White?
- Andy Warhol did a famous series of portraits of Elvis Presley, using a still from the film Flaming Star. What is Elvis holding in his right hand?
- In Velazquez’s most-celebrated work, Las Meninas, the artist himself is shown. Appropriately, he’s holding what in his right hand?
- In Vincent Van Gogh’s Portrait of Dr. Gachet, which once commanded a record auction price, the doctor’s right fist is doing what?
- Finally, in Delacroix’s Liberty Leading the People, the bare-chested Liberty is holding what in her right hand?
- BONUS: In Vermeer’s The Art of Painting, perhaps his most famous work, the artist is at work in his studio with a model posing in the background. Can you name one of the two items she is holding?
For answers, click here.