If you enjoyed Art Smarts Quiz #4, here are 12 more questions to test your knowledge of art films, all of them worth one point. The Bonus question is worth three points, so a perfect score is 15. Let’s get started…
1. Chelsea Girls was a hit for what famed Pop artist and sometime filmmaker?
2. Girl with a Pearl Earring was a 2003 film about what noted Dutch master?
3. Who played the girl in the film just mentioned?
4. Starry Night is a lesser-known flick about what ill-fated artist?
5. The Agony and the Ecstasy was a big-budget 1965 film about Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel. Who took the lead in that?
6. What celebrated actor, the star of Raging Bull, is the son of an abstract expressionist (to whom he dedicated the film A Bronx Tale)?
7. In the 1999 remake of The Thomas Crown Affair, Pierce Brosnan plays a thief who makes off with a painting by what famed French impressionist?
8. The 2001 smash Moulin Rouge starred Nicole Kidman and involved a French impressionist best known for his posters. Can you name him?
9. In the original Moulin Rouge (from 1952), José Ferrer played the artist. Which of the Gabor sisters co-starred as Jane Avril?
10. The Horse’s Mouth was a 1958 comedy about an obsessed, London-based painter. He was played by the Oscar-winning star of The Bridge on the River Kwai. Who was that?
11. A 1998 film about British painter Francis Bacon, called Love Is the Devil, had a supporting actor now best known as the new Bond. Who’s that?
12. What famed surrealist, said to be the subject of several upcoming films, collaborated with Luis Buñuel on Un Chien Andalou?
BONUS: The nominees for best art direction at the 2007 Academy Awards were Pan’s Labyrinth, Dreamgirls, The Good Shepherd, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest and The Prestige. Which won?
For answers, click here.