To help keep yourself in a creative spirit, let the child in you play occasionally. Doing this may help you break through the daily grind, and rediscover the joy of making art for fun.
- Put down the brush and paint with your fingers.
- Paint with only one bright color.
- Paint the bananas blue and the apples purple.
- Draw with only a box of crayons.
- Draw, doodle or write something every day.
- Create your own family refrigerator gallery.
- Spatter and pour paint on canvas.
- Color an entire coloring book and hang your favorites on the fridge.
- Forget what other adults will say about your artshow it only to your kids.
- Create a large abstract. Dont plan it outjust start laying down paint.
- Frame and hang your work in your home.
- Turn up the music and paint what you hear.
- Have an art show in your house for just your family or friends. Serve cheese and soda.
David Tutwiler of Beverly Shores, Indiana, is a signature member of the Oil Painters of America.